These muffins are healthy and delicious. I mean you can't go wrong with chocolate chips. You could put chocolate chips with anything and it would come out amazing. At least I think so.. Everyone loves a traditional carrot cake or carrot muffin. This recipe is a spin off of these classic carrot baked goods. It is the gluten free and dairy free version with some chocolately goodness added. Instead of walnuts or pecans I added almonds only because that is all I had in the house on this rainy day. I am sure you could substitute any nut in here or even go nut free! Feel free to play around with this recipe.
Chocolate Chip Carrot Muffins
- 2 cup oat flour (you can blend oats if you do not have flour)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoon water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free)
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix. Mixture should be thick!
- Fold in the carrots, chocolate chips, and almond. Scoop batter into the muffin liners, filling batter to the top. Bake for about 18 minutes at 400F OR until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy the deliciousness!