Cranberry Walnut Spinach Salad with Honey Ginger Dressing – This recipe screams thanksgiving table. For all my American friends out there, this one is a must. Sweet cranberries with a walnut crunch smothered in a light honey ginger dressing. Need I say more?
There is something about eating spinach that makes me feel healthy. Is it just the look of the dark green leaves? or is it something I read many years ago about the health benefits of eating spinach? Who knows. All I know is #healthy and #winning.
What better way to show your body some love then to consume a spinach salad.. you know what is even better then that? Eating a spinach salad that actually tastes amazing!
I love the honey and ginger combination used in the dressing. One of my favourite things to do is to experiment with different flavours and textures of salad dressings. I have a basic formula I use when I trial new dressings which is the following:
Citrus/Vinegar + Sweet + Salty
Pretty straight forward right? For example I might use apple cider vinegar + maple syrup + Dijon mustard.. or I might do lemon juice + raspberry jam + tamari sauce. Experimenting using this formula works every time!
Why do I make my own dressings when I could just buy one off the shelf? I love fresh ingredients that are free from additional additives. Creating your own dressing also allows you to really nail whatever your taste buds love.
Ever take a bite of a balsamic dressed salad and think “wow this would be some much better without that strong vinegar sting”.. guess what!!! You can totally fix that when you make your own dressings at home. And you can get cute salad dressing mixers like this one.
Anyways lets just jump into this Cranberry and Walnut Spinach Salad recipe so you can get your #health on.
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 avocado, rip and cut into cubes
- 1 cup natural walnuts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/4 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Pink salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all ingredients in a large serving bowl. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a medium sauce pan then remove from heat.
- Add in remaining ingredients stir until combined then set aside to cool.
- Serve over salad right away*
- * Coconut oil hardens at room temperature so make sure you use the dressing right away!