Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Jam; Naturally sweetened strawberry and rhubarb jam spread. No refined sugars or preservatives. Vegan and Gluten free!
I hope everyone is having a fantastic summer so far. And to make it even better, I have a perfect summer recipe for you today!
Tis the season for rhubarb! This is the first summer I have ever had a rhubarb plant in my backyard. Last summer when we first bought this house the rhubarb was over grown and I was unable to harvest it.
This summer I’m staying on top of my rhubarb plant and using it to my advantage! My mom saw a post on Facebook last week about the leaves of a rhubarb plant being poisonous to dogs… does anyone know anything about this? I may have to do a little bit of research to see if this is true because I am worried about my pups now… I hope it is not true.
This Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Jam is:
- naturally vegan and gluten free
- naturally sweetened without refined white sugar
- bursting with flavour
- packed with omega 3 chia seeds
Anyways here is my recipe for a delicious strawberry rhubarb jam.
Ingredients in this Strawberry Rhubarb Jam:
- Chia Seeds
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
I put some chia seeds in this jam recipe not only because I am currently obsessed with them but because they turn this jam thicker with an energy boost.
Chia seeds expand when wet. They are also great because they are PACKED with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, fiber, protein, and magnesium. Who wouldn’t want their jam to be this healthy!?
This jam is a sweet addition to any nut butter on toast, mixed in with your granola yogurt, baked in muffins or even used as a sweet topping to cakes! There are so many options for you with the jam! So get creative and enjoy this sweet (but not too sweet) treat!
To seal the mason jar you’re using for your jam, make sure you add the jam into the jar when it is hot. Put the lid on and it will seal the lid on tight making it stay fresh until you use it.
I love using mason jars because they are able to store much easier than a glass container in the fridge. They take up less room and just make more sense!
This jam is great on rice cakes. I love natural peanut butter and this rhubarb jam on my rice cakes. Makes for a perfect snack and also kills a sweet craving. Rhubarb is almost bitter sweet so you do not need as much of it as you would berry jams. A little bit of rhubarb jam goes a long way.
I hope you enjoy this strawberry rhubarb jam recipe! It is so nice to be able to add such a healthy alternative to your morning toast! Leave in the comments your favourite spreads on toast!
Until next time,
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- 2 cups rhubarb without leaves and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup strawberries Fresh or frozen
- 4 tbsp maple syrup (can substitute honey)
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a medium sauce pan, heat rhubarb, berries and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low heat once bubbling and simmer for more 5 minutes. Mash rhubarb and jam with fork to create a smooth texture.
- Add chia seeds. Stir frequently for 15 more minutes.
- Once jam has thickened, remove from pan and stir in the vanilla. Transfer jam into mason jar and seal lid. Store in fridge.
Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Jam; Naturally sweetened strawberry and rhubarb jam spread. No refined sugars or perservatives.