Avocado Sweet Potato Toast is a healthy gluten free and vegan breakfast or appetizer for anyone who loves guacamole! All wholesome and organic ingredients.
So I have a recipe for you guys that I have been obsessed with the few weeks. It is a sweet potato “toast” smothered in mashed avocado with hemp seeds and hot sauce (you know I love my hot sauce).
I am so obsessed with how delicious and simply this recipe is. I actually got inspiration for this recipe from the instagrammer @choosing_balance. I absolutely love her profile and all of her dishes she shares. They certainly spark inspiration on my end! Make sure you check her out!
This was the first time I had ever tried sweet potato “toast”. I keep putting toast in quotations because its not really toast at all.. When I see toast, I think of bread put into a toaster to make it crispy and warm. Which in a way is what we are doing with the sweet potato here..
How To Make Sweet Potato Toast:
- Slice sweet potato into 1/4 inch thick slices long ways. You can heat your sweet potato in the microwave for 2 minutes before cutting to make it easier. Just be careful because the potato will be freakin hot!!
- Lay out on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle seasonings.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes at 400F
- Left overs are stored in fridge. When your ready for another slice of toast, pull one out and throw it in the toaster!
It’s literally that easy!
I make a big batch all at once so that I have left overs for the next few days. I love grabbing a piece and throwing it in the toaster to enjoy the next day.
And of course I mocked the ‘avocado mash on toast’ hype by topping my sweet potato toast with it!
This is literally the most perfect combination.
Hemp seeds are also a must on top. I love hemp seeds. They add such a great plant based protein source too. They give the toast a little bit of a wholesome texture and even out the mashed texture of the avocado.
Why You Should Love Hemp Seeds Too:
- Plant based protein
- Rich in the amino acid arginine which can help reduce risk of heart disease
- Contain all nine essential amino acids
- High in fibre
- Help you to feel fuller longer, repressing your appetite = weight loss
- Contain healthy fats to keep your skin, hair and nails beautiful
And of course you need a good hot sauce to top it all off. If your not a fan of hot sauce then
what is wrong with you you can opt for other seasonings like salt and pepper or even garlic powder.
I use sriracha hot sauce (literally on everything). I found it works best here because it is more of a pasty texture so it doesn’t make an outrageous mess.
Experiment with your toppings. You can even add different veggies like spinach or mushrooms. The options are endless!
I would love to see your creations so make sure you tag me in your social media posts with #nikkisplate !
I hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Avocado Sweet Potato Toast
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Ripe Avocado
- 2 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- Hot Sauce
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice sweet potato length wise. Lay out on parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes, flip them over half way through.
- While sweet potato baking, remove the skin and pit from the avocados. Mash the avocado in a bowl until smooth. You can leave it chunky if you prefer.
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, cool for 10 minutes then top with the avocado. Drizzle hot sauce overtop. Sprinkle hemp seeds, salt and pepper.
- Put extra sweet potato slices in an air tight container. Store in fridge for up to 5 days. When ready to use, remove from container and put in a toaster (like you would a piece of bread).
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU WILL LOVE THESE POSTS TOO: