Crispy Broccoli with Vegan Cheese Sauce; dairy and gluten free side dish for your vegan dinner! A homemade cashew free cheese sauce that you will love smothered on your blackened broccoli!
Coming at you with one of my favourite side dishes to make. I am such a huge fan of broccoli.. always have been and always will be! I find it is so easy to add to any dinner to get your healthy greens into you.
Broccoli with a cheese sauce has been a classic side dish for as long as I can remember.. but of course, I cant eat dairy so I ventured out to create a delicious "cheese" sauce that I can pour our top of my broccoli.
Why do you need a cheese sauce on your broccoli? You don't. But you will want it once you try out this recipe! It's nice to have another option for your broccoli side dishes. I usual just have steamed broccoli with some hot sauce.. plain and simple!
But this recipe is nice to have every once in a while!
Crispy Broccoli with Vegan Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- broccoli heads
- nutritional yeast
- unsweetened almond milk
- gluten free flour of choice
- extra virgin olive oil
- pink salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- paprika powder
How to Make Blackened Crispy Broccoli:
It is super quick and easy to make. Literally just throw all your ingredients together and then bake them in the oven.
I find it easier to mix everything in my bowl with my hands and then pour the broccoli out onto the baking sheet.
You want to have the oven set to 400 to give it the crisp blackened finish. I love crispy chip like baked broccoli.. especially when you add the gooey vegan cheese sauce all over it to soften it up. So delicious and worth it!
How To Make Cashew Free Vegan Cheese Sauce:
One thing about vegan cheeses is that usually they contain cashews. At least all of the great recipes I find all have cashews in them.. and these recipes are time consuming! You usually have to soak the cashews over night and then blend and boil all the ingredients and it just gets to be too much sometimes. So if you are in need of some vegan cheese in a time crunch, then I highly recommend this cheese sauce!
To make this cheese sauce, you heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan until bubbly, stir in your gluten free flour until a paste is made. Then add in your almond milk, whisk until smooth. Turn heat to low and simmer. Add in your spices and nutritional yeast. Continue to watch closely and whisk. It will thicken up over the next 10-15 minuses.
Once thick enough, serve right away! If you find it is still soupy, continue to add flour until the consistency is what you are looking for! YUM
More Delicious Side Dishes:
- Easy Curry Rice
- Creamy Cauliflower Bake with Tribelli Peppers
- Cranberry and Walnut Spinach Salad with Honey Ginger Dressing
- Rainbow Balsamic Carrots
I hope you enjoyed this Crispy Broccoli with Vegan Cheese Sauce recipe!
If you make any of my recipes please tag your photos with #nikkisplate so I can see your beautiful creations! Any feedback in the comments below is greatly appreciated. I hope you have fun! xo
until next time,
Crispy Broccoli with Vegan Cheese Sauce
Crispy Baked Broccoli
- 3 cups broccoli heads
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch pink salt
- ground pepper
For the Broccoli
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash broccoli. Put in medium bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil onto broccoli. Toss to mix. Make sure olive oil coats broccoli.
- Add remaining spices. Mix.
- Pour onto baking sheet. Place in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked and crispy.
For vegan cheese sauce:
- Place olive oil in a small sauce pan on low heat.
- Once bubbly add flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Pour in almond milk while continuing to whisk mixture. Ensure no clumps
- Add in remaining spices while continuing to whisk. Continue to combine until sauce thickens. Should take around 15 minutes.
- Once sauce is thick, drizzle desired amount over broccoli and serve!
Crispy Broccoli with Vegan Cheese Sauce; dairy and gluten free side dish for your vegan dinner! A cashew free cheese sauce that you will love smothered on your blackened broccoli!