Smooth spicy kale soup recipe with fresh kale and a spice kick from cayenne pepper. Base of potato and vegetable broth. Vegan, dairy free and gluten free.
Who is loving this severely cold weather lately!? Not me. I just don't know what it is about cold weather but I really can't handle it. I don't mind taking the puppies for a quick walk but being outside in the freezing, ice cold, windy weather isn't that fun for me. But the summer... I can handle that.
I'm a sun and heat goddess! The cold and I just don't get along. It takes me FOREVER to warm up ...which is why I have been leaning towards hearty warm soups lately.
Here is a recipe to heat up your inners! In the nicest way possible of course!
The base of this soup is kale (shocker I know...) and potato. I added the potato into this recipe because I wanted to have a healthy carbohydrate in the soup to help keep me full longer.
I rarely eat white potato, but on occasion I add it into my diet. My usual carb choice is brown rice, sweet potato or quinoa . But hey! Somedays you need to spice it up a bit.
Spicy Kale Soup Ingredients:
- low sodium vegetable broth
- baby kale
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- white onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- ground cayenne pepper
- black pepper
Kale is such an amazing food. I love it. I love it because of the health benefits. It was actually rated one of the worlds most healthiest foods. It's a superfood along side its similar relative spinach but I find that when I use it in salads it doesn't get soggy. It holds its crunch structure and texture.
It is loaded with vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and vitamin A. According to Helen from Well-Being Secrets , one cup of kale also has 2 grams of protein!! It is also said to lower cholesterol and fight cancer. Need more reasons why to love kale?
Some of my favourite things about this recipe is just how smooth it is.. I find kale can be difficult to work with at times because it definitely is a harder leafy vegetable.. where as spinach is just so much easier to blend into soups. But this recipe actually worked out really well and you can barely tell that there is kale in there! So lets get that healthy green into us shall we!
Anyways, I won't keep you from getting into the kitchen to whip up some of this deliciousness - did I just make up a word?
I hope you enjoy this spicy kale soup recipe!
And if you still need more hot soup goodness, make sure you check out my 15 Creamy Vegan Soup Recipes where you can find some of my other favourite soup recipes from other bloggers like myself!
Spicy Kale Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 6 cups kale lightly packed
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 small yukon gold potatoes washed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper more or less to preference
- pinch black pepper
- Mince the garlic and peel and chop the potatoes and onion. Wash kale and drain it well. Remove the thick stems.
- Heat olive oil in a pot or soup pan. Add onion, potatoes and pepper. Cook until potatoes and onion are soft.
- Add vegetable broth and cayenne pepper. Gently bring to boil with the lid on for 15 minutes or until the potatoes become very tender.
- Add the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer mixture to blender. Pulse until smooth texture throughout. Transfer back into pot or serve right away.