Do I ever have a healthy dairy free tuna casserole for you!
Hi friends! Today is a beautiful day. The only thing not beautiful about it, is how freaking cold it is! Today was the first day that my car’s thermometer read -10 degrees!
Talk about freeze my buns off. I could see my breath! All I could think about was how badly I was craving some warm comfort foods. Which led me to making this deliciously creamy yet healthy tuna casserole!
This healthy dairy free tuna casserole is also gluten free! I used my favourite gluten free pasta in the recipe so it didn’t upset my stomach! You obviously can use what ever pasta you would like if you are just going for the dairy free version. Your call!
Tuna. Lets talk tuna for a second here. Tuna can have such a bad rep because people either like it or absolutely hate it. Some people just can’t do the fishy taste of tuna. BUT I can promise you that you can’t even taste the tuna in this recipe! All you can taste is creamy garlic pasta.
I for one, love tuna. I love that its a healthy and lean source of protein and is an easy “grab and go” option. Some days when I don’t have any protein prepped for my lunches, I will just open up a can of tuna, drain it, and add half of the can to some rice/broccoli… and BOOM you have a healthy balanced lunch in just a matter of seconds.
Why is protein important in your meals? Not only is it great for your muscles (especially if you live an active life), but its also a great way to stay full longer! I always make sure my meals have a source of protein to keep my stomach satisfied until its acceptable to eat again hehe.
My favourite go-to protein sources include almonds/peanut butter, lean meats and whey protein powder. What is your favourite sources of protein!?
Alright I won’t make you wait any longer…
Here is the recipe!
I hope you enjoy this healthy dairy free tuna casserole!
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp gluten free flour
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Can light tuna (drained)
- 1 Cup baby spinach
- 6 Cups cooked gluten free pasta, drained but not rinsed
- *Gluten Free Bread Crumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour, until it is clump free.
- Add in the garlic and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth and whisk until smooth. Slowly add in the remaining vegetable broth.
- Add the tuna, and bring to a low boil.
- Once boiling, add the spinach, reduce the heat to low, and simmer.
- Turn off heat when sauce reaches a creamy thick texture.
- Add in the pasta and stir until pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Add the pasta to a skillet or baking pan. Sprinkle with GF breadcrumbs. Place in oven for 30 minutes to crisp the top. Remove when top of casserole is golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes then serve!